enThese are a couple of old windows tricks that I find very useful. However, I manage to forget them every time I sit on a new PC or re-install windows and I thought it would be better to write it down.
Trick 1 : Always open “My Computer” In “Windows Explorer” Mode
Many users find My Computer on the desktop to be a convenient starting point for file operations. Clicking My Computer opens to a Task Pane view, which while gaining wider acceptance, has yet to come close to overtaking the more widely accepted and preferred Explorer view. To set the default so My Computer opens in Explorer view:
1. Launch My Computer > Tools > Folder Options… > File Types tab
2. Select the icon for (NONE) Folder and click the Advanced button
3. In the Actions List, select Explorer and click Set Default
4. Click OK and Close.
Trick 2 : Always op”Windows Explorer” in “My Computer” mode
1. Reach for the Shortcut to Windows Explorere Start > All Programs > Accesories > Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click the Explorer shortcut, select Properties, and in the Target line, add: “/n,/e,/select,c:\” to the end, so your Target line looks like this: “C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/select,c:\”
3. To Open Explorer in your other choice of folders use a format similar to: “explorer.exe /n, /e, c:\windows\favorites”